Colophon: 1) An inscription formerly placed at the end of a book showing the title, printer’s name, date, etc. 2) An emblematic device adopted by a publisher, usually printed on the title page of his books.

Says my Funk and Wagnalls: Canadian College Dictionary.

I’ve been bumping into this word a few times lately. So I looked it up for an official definition. People seem to be using it as a fancy word for their blog profile. I would like it if the word was more old fashioned sounding in some way. Maybe one of those rustic compound words sledgehammer. (First one that came to mind).

I guess it’s trendy. But, not a descriptive looking word. I don’t think it will really catch on except among those who want to sound ever so very literary.

Leave a comment