Apply these same ideas as a writer:
- Study something, other than writing. Pick a hobby, how about photography?
- Delete old stories, ideas and such which you “might use some day”. Don’t get trapped by old ideas, old clutter.
- Limit your gear, make do with what you have. Stop shopping for new software, new books and other tools, accessories. Get back to the basics and rely more on yourself than props.
- Take a closer look at your subject. Even if you are writing fiction, find something new, look for a fresh angle. Get a new perspective by stepping back from your past research, experience or opinions.
- Teach someone else about writing. You can also pull together the information and resources you have and teach someone else what you know about the topics you write about. Explaining it all to someone else helps you rediscover what you thought you knew.